Tuesday 21 March 2017

TIME TO SHOOT

When I quit the mag, I didn't quit altogether.

My lifelong love affair with fashion photography didn't just go away.  I knew I had barely begun.  I needed time and space to make things happen and that is why I pushed myself off the employment edge into the freelance abyss.

For years prior to the free fall I tried to orchestrate what is termed 'test shoots' in the business.  It is when aspiring photographers, models and hair and make up artists come together in their spare time to work not for money but for pictures.  Every participant needs a portfolio and it is the only way to get one.  This experimental fashion shoot is a tricky affair because everyone involved has non flexible day jobs.  Thus everything must be planned and organised in lunch hours and evenings for a weekend shoot.  It takes determination, drive, patience and energy.  Time is the first challenge.

The second is putting together a team that is reading from the same concept page.  On a magazine editorial shoot, the fashion director/editor commissions photographers, hair and make up artists and models directly from creative agencies for each individual shoot (though once a 'dream team' is established, it will often stick together).  The editor goes through stacks of portfolios to pick people who fit the bill.  It is after all their responsibility to ensure that the magazine is faithfully represented by all involved.  You won't find an Elle shoot in Cosmo, and vice versa.  The style must match the target audience, the house style if you like.  In this respect the mag is the employer and the crew the employees who follow the lead of the fashion director.

On a test shoot, however, nobody calls the shots, not even the photographer.  Everyone is on an equal footing.  It is thus crucial that everyone is working towards the same goal.  There really is no I in team when it comes to testing!  From the outset everyone must fully understand the desired goal and stick to the plan, otherwise it is wasted effort and opportunity.  And creative agencies plus fashion PRs who will not do you any favours in the future.  The pictures must be got!  The best way to communicate this is to put together a mood board, illustrating the vibe and style of the shoot.

And here is my mood board... Oh yes, did I mention I AM DOING A SHOOT!  So who wants to come along for the ride?  I am looking for a make up artist and a hair stylist.  Hit me up with examples of your work if you are interested!  I also need a van to transport the wardrobe/equipment and for models to change in.  No date confirmed as too many variables at this stage, but will be May, weather depending.  Location will be East Cornwall

Photographer Tim Walker
Photographer Martin Bailey

Photographer Willy VanderperrePhotographer Mikael Jansson


Photographer Bruno Dayan

Photographer Matt Henry

Photographer Harriet MacSween




More challenges and updates next week!

And don't forget to check to check www.Rebellishment.co.uk for new stock on Fridays ;)

1 comment:

Lewis Clark said...

Your way of capturing art is just amazing. There is so much depth in your work. Yeah please post some more updates. I hope to see your more illusionary work.